--- begin forwarded text

From: "Phillip Hallam-Baker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "R. A. Hettinga" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Net Libel
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 00:30:40 -0400

Any claim that I paid a substantial amount of money is itself a
libellous claim. I made use of a proceedure in English law under
which a defendant can raise the stakes for a plaintif by making
a payment into court. If the eventual damages are less, the plaintif
pays the defendants full indemnity costs from the date of the payment.
It is a very effective means of disposing of vexatious litigants
peddling nuisance suits and of getting litigants to settle.

The payment made into court was a very small amount sufficient
to ensure that any derrisory settlement would ensure that the
costs were awarded in my favor. I have paid larger sums as
tips in restaurants.

I would have to check with the lawyers to find out if I can reveal
the exact amount. Dr Godfrey had a spot of bother in a breach
of confidence action after revealling a payment into court, but that
was before it was accepted. I guess that if he can call the amount
substantial, I can call it derissory.

Further details of the case can be had from the UK court service
and since those documents are covered by full immunity and speak
for themselves, I don't have to:

http://wood.ccta.gov.uk/courtser/judgements.nsf/8a6242113a3c89f0802566420012
52c8/45de924a70f2270b802568690055b06c/$FILE/godfrey3.htm

Unfortunately due to the fact I may get called as a witness in one of
the many ongoing suits I cannot discuss the matter further here.

        Phill

--- end forwarded text

--
R. A. Hettinga <mailto: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>