‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐
On Monday, November 25, 2019 6:52 PM, jim bell <jdb10...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>the denial using Glomar exception is here:
>
> https://cdn.muckrock.com/foia_files/2019/02/11/1-29-19_MR67282_REJ-G_106095.pdf
>
> This document doesn't say why the Glomar exception is applicable.   It does
> not even include the term "Glomar".  Frustratingly, in this PDF format I
> cannot select and copy text.  Why???

welcome to FOIA!  the agencies do this on purpose, usually returning scanned
images of documents rather than searchable text or annotated PDFs. this is a
"feature" for them, not a bug :)

[ almost the entire CIA CREST archive is like this, once they released it from
the confines of the National Archives in Maryland ]

regarding Glomar, any time "can neither confirm nor deny" is the response, it
is categorized as "Glomar" denial.

> How would the (re-)disclosure of these Cypherpunks emails, which were
> originally disseminated to thousands of people, including (presumably)
> foreigners, result in "identifiable or describable exceptionally grave damage
> to the national security"?   The simple answer is, 'No way in hell!!!'.
> That response was deliberately wrong.

agreed; again, typical of FOIA - blanket denials, and upon appeal, more
specific denials. (and maybe, if you're lucky, a partial response!)

> This is still true.   A re-filing might be better done in another person's
> name, to ensure that the concepts of "collateral estoppel" and "res judicata"
> aren't used to reject the claim a second time.

hey Ryan! ;)
(MuckRock has a clone request feature. wink wink nudge nudge...)

> Given that recent case out of the Northern District of California, it seems
> likely that a better tactic would be to have somebody else file essentially
> the same FOIA application in the Northern District of California, citing that
> precedent, and then have the right to appeal the agency's denial(s) to that
> California district.  However, I see no reason that both tactics could not be
> pursued, in parallel.   Except, that the last time I heard of what it was, a
> District Court docket fee was $350, but it might have changed.  Getting a
> waiver of the docket fee ("In Forma Pauperis") might be possible, but it
> might merely be in a form which delays the payment, not completely waives it.
>
> It would also be useful to pre-load the FOIA requests with arguments as to
> why things like the Glomar exception shouldn't apply:  The Cypherpunks
> mailing list was never "secret"; it was always open to anyone who wanted to
> subscribe to it; everyone who posted to it knew that their postings would be
> sent to hundreds (eventually thousands) of subscribers.  In principle, any
> person who wanted a copy of the entire (or a portion) of the Cypherpunks
> email database could have 'easily' achieved that by simply subscribing to it:
>  It certainly isn't clear why the collection of Cypherpunks emails, all of
> which were public and moreover were fully intended to be public,  would be a
> 'matter of national security'.   Make them WORK for the exceptions!    And,
> if re-filed in the Northern District of California, cite that as relevant
> precedent.

having someone file in Northern District of California, with preemptive
refutation of Glomar applicability is a good idea.

paging all FOIA nerds!

best regards,