Tim May <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Frankly, I doubt that you have read "The Communist Manifesto." For
> multiple reasons, including its length and boringness.

Its length?

The Communist Manifesto is extremely short and probably the most
accessible of the works of Karl Marx and easily readable in a morning
(as I did once).

I suspect you were probably thinking of "Das Kapital".

"The Communist Manifesto" really is of historical interest only and
contains little (if anything) of interest today.  Still it's probably
worth reading to see what Marxism is based on.  (As is Lenin's "What
is to be done?").

There appears to be no obvious libertarian equivalent (maybe someone
should write one?).  The closest probably is Friedman's "Machinery of
Freedom".

I found Rothbard's "For a New Liberty" rather disappointing and
lacking in his usual clarity and rigour.

Hayek's "Constitution of Liberty" is an excellent, well known but
rather long exposition of his form of libertarian-conservatism.

Nozick's "Anarchy State and Utopia" is an interesting defence of the
minimal state.

--
1024/D9C69DF9 steve mynott [EMAIL PROTECTED]

    it is better to be hated for what one is than be loved for what
one is not.  -andre gide