On Monday, February 11, 2002, at 02:44  PM, j eric townsend wrote:

> At 14:04 -0800 2002/02/11, Tim May wrote:
>> I believe _only_ for PPV, as my phone line has been "unavailable" to
>> the UTV box for most of the time it's been in my house. (I never use
>> PPV.)
>
> It's required for PPV, but not for each PPV.  It's required from time
> to time because DTV wants to know if you've made any PPV purchases.
> They also occasionally require a call to verify the receiver's location
> or when changing the level of service you have.

No, they don't care about the receiver's location. Data point: My
DirecTV receiver was hooked up without a telephone hookup for almost 6
years with no issues or questions.

> The phone line is (obviously) required for WebTV, but that's not what I
> was thinking about.

OK, then in that case I can unambiguously say a phone conncection is not
required for what you were talking about.

--Tim May
"The great object is that every man be armed and everyone who is able
may have a gun." --Patrick Henry
"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be
properly armed." --Alexander Hamilton