--
On 13 Feb 2002, at 12:23, Aimee Farr wrote:
> "The tree of liberty must be watered periodically with the
> blood of tyrants."
>
> It's sad, but I have come to hate that quote, because
> contemporary history paints a much different picture: it is
> no tree of liberty, and it damn sure isn't the blood of
> tyrants.

Recent revolutions did kill tyrants -- or at least remove
them from power -- for example Nicaragua, Ethiopia, and
Somalia.

> I think these people should be given a good look behind the
> insurgency curtain. Other appeals don't work. The job of an
> insurgency strategist is to trick people. To trick people
> into dying for him, and to trick the government into
> killing them.

Some time ago Museveni overthrew a dreadful tyranny. In a
recent news story the pinko statist newspaper reporters from
the pinko press criticized him because he should have
foreseen, and doubtless did forsee that the revolt would
"provoke" the regime to slaughter huge numbers of unarmed
civilians, blaming him instead of the murderers..  Musveni
gave them a wonderful tongue lashing, pointing out that the
guilt is wholly on the tyrants, not those who overthrow
tyrants.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     XEuljnmQAgWZzg4tw2GKfU3uBVrDJLyiV3KkuOKz
     4Yc67KwhX1fv2jLNatIS82a04SJ8Tsot+Jt/5T5yq