On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, cyphrpnk wrote:

> unfortunately an examination of the source reveals no hmac being maintained on
> the file used as a vnode mounted filesystem, gives this same vunerability.
> (its easily resolved by taking an external hmac(via samhain,demairc,tripwire,
> sha1 etc,) during unmount and then checking same prior to mount
> various other solutions are discussed in the linux  paper posted to bugtraq

True.  Whether or not this is a problem depends on your threat model, of
course.

A wrapper script to vnconfig and mount/umount which records a hash might
make an acceptable workaround, though it'd include a race condition.

> the 8.4 gb limitation is a limitation of mkfs when working through
> a vnd mounted files system.(anything larger breaks badly).

You're still referring to OpenBSD here?

I hadn't come across that problem, since I've been using smaller disks.
There was a patch to OpenBSD in October to make vnd work with files up to
1TB:

http://www.monkey.org/openbsd/archive/bugs/0110/msg00072.html

This may or may not solve the problem.  I can't find any reference to
limitations within newfs.

> In addition...a sudden power down on this type of filesystem(encrypted, VND
> mountea)d will damage the resulting structure so that fsck WILL NOT work
> on it.

I've had power failures while using mounted encrypted loopbacks which have
recovered fine with fsck.  Haven't tested it extensively.  Is this a
problem with the current release?

--
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] F289 2BDB 1DA0 F4C4 DC87 EC36 B2E3 4E75 C853 FD93
http://zem.squidly.org/weblog/    "..I'm invisible, I'm invisible.."