At 03:43 PM 3/22/02 -0800, Tim May wrote:
>On Friday, March 22, 2002, at 01:55  PM, Morlock Elloi wrote:
>
>>> Suggestions for more criteria welcome.
>>
>> Motivation.
>>
>> I cannot find a non-computer paradigm that relates to sharing
in-house
>> private
>> resources with unknown others. This maybe the the principal
conceptual
>> obstacle. Outside irrelevantly low-numbered activist circles, masses
>> just do
>> not want to share without very obvious and immediate gratification.

Why do folks rip CDs they have licensed?  Because they want to access
them at work.
Or to share them with friends.  As a side effect, you have these MP3s
which you can
trivially share with the world.

If you estimate your risk at being caught as approaching nil, and the
effort
required to share also approaches nil, it happens.

>I gave Phil the example of someone soliciting something like "Optimum
>implant doses for CMOS process sought. Will pay $500."

Optimum doses are around 125 micrograms.  Costs much less than $500.

>To make the point graphically to Phil, I devised "Black Net" as the
>place where epi implant information is bought and sold, where someone
>offers $100K for the Stealth bomber blueprints, where all sorts of
>secrets are solicited and offered.

Left under a bridge in a park in D.C...

>Any person, any organization, any company which gets into the
napstering
>business will face the guns of the lawyers, the Feds, international
>bodies (when it suits them), and so on. Whether that company is Mojo or

>BitTorrent or whatever, the criminal and civil suits will be aimed at
>whomever can be identified as a nexus.
>* Forego ego and develop and release a product _untraceably).

Many in, or formerly in, the software biz have realized that:

1. Microsoft can buy you out (at least you make some one-time money), or
duplicate you

2. Open source folks can duplicate you *for free*

and now you add,

3. Lawyers/congresscum will harass you.

Alas, poor programmers...

>But find other ways to make money or stroke your ego. The familiar saw
>about two people being able to keep a secret...if one of them is dead.

And "real friends help you move bodies"...

Cheers, (and we agree with you, if its not obvious)