Aimee wrote:
Faustine wrote:

> > http://www.metatempo.com/IWARThreatModel.pdf
>
> Seems awfully dated and rudimentary. Current online books which go a lot
> deeper and put crypto its due place, dead center:

<snip>

>Well, it says it's an old paper, and the audience could be general. Anyway,
>I enjoyed one of his other papers, and somebody else considered it worthy
>enough to pass along. The source that passed it along probably wouldn't ever
>read a RAND publication, and view the relevance of their materials the same
>way I view lint.

Their loss. One of the most interesting qualities of "RAND-style" research as
opposed to purely academic work--and believe me, I've read a lot of it--is the
phenomenal number of practical ideas lurking just under the surface of every
pub. All it takes is someone knowledgeable and imaginative enough to extract
them and make it happen.

>I don't know Mr. Wilson's situation, but some people with operational
>mind-sets are "awfully dated and rudimentary," but damn good in operational
>contexts, whereas some people with contemporary analytical mind-sets
>couldn't drive a cow out of a barn unless it was a theoretical cow in a
>theoretical barn, the entire situation transpired on paper, and adhered to
>game theory, graphs and flow-charts. In contrast, operational mind-sets work
>best in a continual state of mistake and against the laws of gravity. Even
>though they might not be especially rigorous, they are especially relevant,
>and prone to decision-making and risk-taking, rather than analysis and
>hedging. :P

Point well taken, but I think history amply proves that whoever first masters
both the operational and the theoretical is going to come out ahead.

The problem with the pointyhead/donutchomper dichotomy (or "simp/
knuckledragger", if you prefer--or "bone lazy visionary/schizo snackycake
posse" problem, as it manifests itself around here) is that none of these
approaches are particularly well-equipped to adapt to a changing reality.
Strictly Darwinian, predictable outcomes.

Blend the best of both and there'll really be something to write home about.

>Again, I don't know his bio, but one of his papers kind of struck me that
>way, and you run across it a lot in military theory. I found his style
>refreshing and conversational.

It was okay, it just seemed to lack the real bite of "Networks and
Netwars", that's all.

>I have great respect and appreciation for RAND people, (not just for their
>work, but for their approachability). My comments aren't slurring the
>authors you cited, nor their works, nor you. I appreciate the references of
>interest.

Jeez, don't be so polite, it makes me nervous. This is Cypherpunks: vent a
little, it'll do you good. ;)

~Faustine.

***

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself.

- --Thomas Paine