On Tuesday, April 30, 2002, at 12:55  PM, Michael Motyka wrote:

> As a simple illustration of the inability to separate the "Good Guys"
> from the "Bad Guys" I use my experiences with my Visa card company. I
> use the damn thing to buy gas a few times a week and every so often I'll
> use it for a big ticket item like a PC or a Spa for example. At which
> time I generally have to spend 20 minutes on the phone with the numbnutz
> at the credit company explaining that despite the fact that their SW
> tells them I behave like a credit card thief ( testing the card at the
> relatively low-risk gas pump then buying a laptop ) I really am the
> customer, the card is in my posession and I really do want to use it. I
> usually get a warning about my language at which point I am allowed the
> priveledge of speaking with some sort of manager. Maybe I am a bad guy
> since I curse and almost never carry a credit card balance. Very
> unpatriotic.

This has never happened to me, even the time I bought my $23,000 Ford
Explorer on my VISA card. (This really happened.) There may be some
difference between our types of cards or backgrounds, etc.

But you make a good point, that the "net" to snare bad guys is snaring
vastly more ordinary people.

The seizure of funds in politically incorrect bank accounts is of course
another example.

> I remember that in the weeks post 9-11 Safeway or one of the other
> grocery store chains offered to profile customers. What are they going
> to do? Question everyone who buys olive oil, chick peas, garlic and
> sesame paste? The whole surveillance thing is bound to proceed at
> breakneck speed and bound also to be a useless waste of effort. The next
> terrorist event will probably be something quite unexpected and not
> easily detected.

Which was obvious on the evening of 9/11, that the next attack would be
something quite different.

But the goals of establishing a surveillance state are still being
accomplished, so why argue?

--Tim May
> -
"The whole of the Bill [of Rights] is a declaration of the right of the
people at large or considered as individuals... It establishes some
rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no
majority has a right to deprive them of." -- Albert Gallatin of the New
York Historical Society, October 7, 1789