Nin hao,

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, David E. Weekly wrote:

> Cypherpunks,
>
> I run a 501(c)(3) non-profit focuses on providing free, donation-based
> colocation to individuals and other non-profits (i.e., no companies are
> hosted. Additionally, we try to do things that are useful to the
> not-for-profit Internet community as a whole; for instance, we run a
> freenode.info IRC server (freenode is used by a lot of Open Source
> development groups to coordinate developer teams).
>
> I'd like to understand how we could be useful to the cypherpunk community.
> I've got some wild guesses (run a public keyserver, run a mixmaster node,
> etc), but I don't really know what is most badly needed, or how we could
> provide the most bang for the bandwidth buck. (We do pay for bandwidth, so
> "serving up Debian ISOs" is not a viable way we can help the community at
> this time.) Ideally, we'd like to find applications that don't use a lot of
> bandwidth (<500kbps aggregate), but require a server that's got a fixed IP,
> is up all the time, and has very low latency to most of the Net.
>
> How can we help?

Hangar 18

http://open-forge.org

(Join the hangar18-general list for direct participation)

The sponsoring company In Silica, LLC should go live within the next
several days (I believe the papers get submitted to the state this
afternon around 2pm). It will operate via a DBA for "Open Forge" to
support Open Technology public distributed networks (among other Open
Technology projects, like a P2P laser comm we're building).

With respect to Mixmaster, Wolf is already set to begin porting to Plan 9
as soon as we get the first clusters up (by Jan 1 is our current target).
We are building machines now. All in all we've got about a half dozen
volunteers and approximately 40 machines. It is a mix of Linux, Plan 9, &
BSD. We have one Plan 9 R3 I/O-Auth server installed but not configured
(these 16/6 weeks at work are killing my project time). We have another
Plan 9 R4 I/O-Auth server being built. At least two members of Hangar 18
are building boxes to add. I believe both of these will be process servers
for the general pool. A core 80G 9P file server will be coming online
also, limited usage and content type (eg no music swapping/sharing). We
also have a node in NYC (though it's a little light right now on services
- Hi Carlos!).

Zai jian.

    We don't see things as they are,                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    we see them as we are.                                   www.ssz.com
                                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    Anais Nin                                         www.open-forge.org