If I recall some time ago (years ago) there was some discussion on
list of using non-US drivers licenses or out-of-state drivers licenses
I think to get around this problem.  I thought it was Duncan Frissell
or Black Unicorn who offered some opinions on this.

(Actually I am interested in this topic also because I have a UK
drivers license and recently moved to the US; taking a drivers test is
hassle, and having fingerprints taken (if Washington state is one of
the states doing this) feels intrusive to me. )

There are also things called International Drivers Permits, which may
allow you to drive for longer on non-US drivers licenses and/or allow
you to more easily get a US driving license given an existing non-US
license.  In the UK at least you can buy an International Drivers
Permits for 4 pounds from AA or RAC (motoring associations) on
presentation of a currently valid UK drivers license.

However I'm having trouble figuring out what the rules are.
Washington state licensing say that you must apply for a state license
within 30 days if you relocate.  And yet I'm pretty sure you can drive
for longer than that on an International Driving Permit (the UK ones
last for a year I think).  But perhaps different rules apply if you
are holidaying as opposed to moving.

Adam