----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Shaddack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Harmon Seaver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, February 01, 2003 4:42 PM
Subject: CDR: Re: Shuttle Diplomacy

[snip conspiracy theory]
> Especially in this case, I'd bet my shoes on Murphy; Columbia was an old
> lady that had her problems even before the launch itself. I'd bet on
> something stupid, like loosened tiles or computer malfunction (though more
> likely the tiles, as the computers are backed up). Remember Challenger,
> where the fault was a stupid O-ring.

One of the current theories floating around has to do with a piece of debris
that flew off the booster rocket during take-off and collided with the left
wing (where the problems began). The video of the take-off was reviewed in
great detail and it was determined that it was innocent, considering the
proximity of the problems and the debris there appears to be at least
something worth investigating.
                Joe

Trust Laboratories
http://www.trustlaboratories.com