Bill Frantz wrote:
> And, I still am willing to work on my brake systems.  Replacing pads
> on a disk brake unit is a lot easier than replacing drums.

Agree it's easier, and there is very little to get wrong changing disk
brakes -- remove a couple of bolts, using some leverage push the
pistons back, slip out the worn pads, put new ones in, slide assembly
over disk, and re-tighten bolts!  Only takes a few minutes once you've
done it a few times, and seems to me there is little room to screw up.

I mean aside from forgetting to tighten the bolts I don't see any
opportunity for screwing up.

Drum brakes on the other hand usually have hateful spring assemblies
that are a bitch to get back together afterwards.

As far as evolutionary pressures, aggressive and fast driving is far
more dangerous, however adrenaline inducingly fun that may be.

(ke =1/2.m.v^2).  Also exposed or unduly light vehicles -- motorbikes,
light built cars like citroen 2cv or such.  motorbikes have very bad
accident statistics.

> Set a new personal record for removal, disassembly, reassambly, and
> installation of a transmission after I slipped the clutch to get the
> car home too.

I had a clutch cable snap on me when I was moving -- car was jam
packed with household effects.  Just drove it for 10 miles without a
clutch.  To start: switch engine off, put it in first, start engine;
gear change match engine speed to road speed pull out of gear, reduce
engine speed to match road speed at higher gear ratio put into new
gear; and plan ahead to not have to do a hill start on 1 in 6 hill on
way home :-) You can change down also, but it's harder because there's
less tolerance for error in the engine speed.

It helps to have practised this a bit first, otherwise you'll grind
the gears or even break something.  I was glad I had practised it when
the cable broke.

You're putting strain on the synchro-mesh when you do this, as it is
compensating for your error under-power which it is not designed to
do.  Commonly there is no synchromesh on first, so a moving 2nd to 1st
change-down will be harder to do.

Adam