On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 07:39:03PM +0000, Adam Back wrote:
> As far as evolutionary pressures, aggressive and fast driving is far
> more dangerous, however adrenaline inducingly fun that may be.
>
> (ke =1/2.m.v^2).  Also exposed or unduly light vehicles -- motorbikes,
> light built cars like citroen 2cv or such.  motorbikes have very bad
> accident statistics.

True, of course. I used to own a Honda CBR600F2, a black-pink-purple
sportbike (that was the color scheme during the year I bought it,
1992, at least).

I was younger and more prone to taking risks than I am now, and had a
knee- shredding crash once (I was wearing a very good leather jacket
but with jeans).

But at the same time, a motorcycle is in some ways safer than a car:
You can stop from 30 mph to 0 mph in something like 10 feet, if I
recall the CBR's stats properly. Instant acceleration helps too in
avoiding accidents, as does a higher riding position. I generally think
of it as: You may have a better chance of avoiding a crash because of
the performance and visibility characteristics, but if you do get into
an accident, you'll suffer heavier damage.

-Declan