On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Ken Murchison wrote:

make_md5 still works: it doesn't use the UUIDs/GUIDs. There is also:

http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/~dpc22/cyrus/patches/2.3.8/sha1_make_sha1.patch
which should probably be merged if we are working towards SHA1.

Is this still necessary since the GUIDs already the SHA1 hash of the message? Would a tool that works with GUIDs be better?

I think that a tool which generates (and constantly regenerates) checksums from the source messages is useful, but this could certainly also compare the results with the GUIDs from the cyrus.index files.

make_md5/make_sha1 generate two checksums for each message: one for the message body and also one for the cyrus.cache entry. The latter has been occasionally useful in showing up problems with other parts of Cyrus (for example the ENVELOPE lcase() bug from a few weeks back).

--
David Carter                             Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University Computing Service,            Phone: (01223) 334502