On 30/01/2012, at 19:59, "Georg C. F. Greve" <gr...@kolabsys.com> wrote:

On Monday 30 January 2012 12.12:52 crocket wrote:
Is there any plan to implement PUSH-IMAP in cyrus IMAP?

Generally I'd be very interested in everything that improves performance for mobile devices with IMAP, but in this case I notice that the drafts went on a
little longer, but then ultimately expired with draft 12, it seems:

   https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-maes-lemonade-p-imap-12.txt

That draft seems to have expired in 2006 with no RFC as its result, perhaps
because in 2005 Nokia claimed to hold patents that apply to it:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/604/

Whether these are among patents that was provided to the patent trolls in the
recent deals I do not know and did not check. [1]

In any case, as the draft expired almost 6 years ago and never turned into RFC, one wonders what Apple plans to do with this, which expired draft version it plans to support, whether there will be proprietary extensions and so on
and so forth.

The state of push email on the iPhone seems quite confusing (in particular it seems the Apple documentation is contradictory or missing), but after some reading it seems that the iPhone supports three push email protocols:

- for Yahoo accounts, Yahoo's non-standard push protocol based on UDP

- for MobileMe accounts, Apple's non-standard push protocol based on XMPP

- for the Microsoft Exchange account (just the one per iPhone apparently), Microsoft's ActiveSync protocol. Google also uses this.

This information is more or less rumour. Perhaps somebody from Apple could clarify what the actual situation is?

But, on current information it seems the only way for a service which isn't Yahoo or Apple to achieve actual email push to a iPhone is to talk ActiveSync. This is presumably why the Google folks added ActiveSync support.

The original poster mentioned the Z-Sync project, which a PHP implementation of the ActiveSync serverside which can talk IMAP to a backend. Presumably that involves the Z-Sync server polling IMAP, which would be better than the client polling but still less than wonderful.

Given that the CMU guys have been adding http and XML support to Cyrus for CalDAV, some of the pieces that ActiveSync needs are coming anyway, so it's not entirely impossible to imagine some future Cyrus supporting ActiveSync directly.

Georg, I notice there's a page about Z-Sync on the Kolab wiki. Do you have any idea of the legal issues with the protocol?

Personally I'd be strongly in favour of such technologies.

Me too; I work with an iOS device and a Cyrus server daily. Lots of our customers use iOS devices.

Greg.