14.03.2015 01:50, Bron Gondwana wrote:
So I've been doing a lot of thinking about Cyrus clustering, with the
underlying question being "what would it take to make FastMail run a
murder".  We've written a fair bit about our infrastructure - we use
nginx as a frontend proxy to direct traffic to backend servers, and have
no interdependencies between the backends, so that we can scale
indefinitely.  With murder as it exists now, we would be pushing the
limits of the system already - particularly with the globally
distributed datacentres.

Btw (as you speak about clusters), I've developed a Proof-of-the-concept for a cyrus-imapd cluster a long ago using pacemaker as a cluster resource manager. There are many things happened to the linux clustering after that, including remote-node support in the pacemaker, so that concept may be reworked to be even more perfect and scalable. The only thing I did not like that time is that cyrus replication was a bit weak to detect changes after a rolling multi-node failure (node1 goes down, node2 takes over the replica, node2 goes down, node1 goes up and changes made to node2 during node1 was down are lost). Please drop me a note (or just post here as I'm a long time silent reader) if you're interested in making cyrus-imapd rock-solid from the ha-clustering perspective and need some guidance in that so I'll share more details.

Best,
Vladislav