On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 11:14 PM, Stefan Behnel <stefan...@behnel.de> wrote:
> Stefan Behnel, 16.11.2010 12:46:
>> when I try to hg push to cython-devel, I keep getting this:
>>
>> """
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>> SyntaxError: Error expanding 'sessionvars%urlparameter'
>> """
>>
>> Trac seems to be broken, too. Has anything changed on the Cython VM since
>> yesterday that could trigger this?
>
> hg is back to normal since William cleaned up the disk space. trac is still
> down, it seems.
>
> Robert, since you set up most of the infrastructure (IIRC), could you take
> an attempt at the migration to boxen?

So, I've been thinking about this, and one of the reasons we're using
the current setup is that it requires very little administration from
me, as I am essentially leaching of the sagemath.org infrastructure.
Moving things to boxen would be a bit more administration on our part,
but still not too bad, and I know William is a happy enough Cython
user to be fine with continuing to host us :). However, I'm wondering
if this would be a ripe occasion to making the leap to something like
http://code.google.com. Currently, our infrastructure consists of

1. The web site
2. Trac
3. Wiki
4. Repositories
5. Buildbot
6. Mailing lists

Currently we're hosting 1-5, and 6 is being hosted by codespeak.net
(for cython-dev) and google (for cython-users). I think it may be
worth considering moving 2-4 elsewhere, as there is little loss and
they are the higher-maintenance (from an administrative point of view)
items, and features such as code review tools would be nice to have as
well. Trying to use launchpad was painful, so this decision shouldn't
be taken lightly, but I think we can do better. Of course
code.google.com isn't the only option, but even trying to be unbiased
about it I think it's a very good option, and
http://www.dataliberation.org/google/code-project-hosting factors into
it as well.

In terms of the website itself, I think we should keep hosting that
(for maximum flexibility, and it's easy to administer), and there
isn't much of an option for 5 (though steps should be taken to reduce
its load).

Thoughts?

- Robert