On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 2:10 AM, Stefan Behnel <stefan...@behnel.de> wrote:
> Robert Bradshaw, 09.12.2010 11:00:
>> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 1:46 AM, Stefan Behnel wrote:
>>> Vitja Makarov, 08.12.2010 22:45:
>>>
>>> *Way* cool, thanks! I'll take a close look ASAP. Please feel free to send
>>> in a new patch when you have it. If you use hg, you can use "hg bundle" to
>>> collect commit series. Don't know about git.
>>>
>>> BTW, why not set up a github branch for this?
>>
>> That's exactly what I was thinking. It'll make it easier to review as
>> well, and for others to contribute without disturbing the main line.
>
> BTW, when this goes in, the next Cython version to release is basically
> 1.0, right? There are some minor Python compatibility issues left, but
> that'll be the last major feature, the way I count it.

This will be the last major feature before 1.0, but I don't know that
the first release this is in should be the 1.0 release.

I also think we should set the compatibility bar a bit higher for 1.0
as well--I want a concrete list of all the differences between Python
X.y and Cython (for un-annotated code) and to be able to say that, if
you don't count on the behavior in this list (e.g. identity vs
equality for floating point literals, maybe stack frames) then you
should be able to compile your code and have it just work, but
hopefully faster. At the very least, until we at least attempt to make
such a list, we won't know where we stand (the regression tests
presumably being somewhat of a starting point, though I'd like to get
all of them passing (unless they deal with implementation
details...)).

- Robert