On Sep 24, 2007, at 9:37 AM, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> ['field', 'field', '\n', 'field', 'field']
>
> There are a fixed number of fields per record.  I am inserting the
> '\n'
> into the list at the end of records prior to converting the list
> back to
> a string for writing.

        OK, so at some point before that you have:

['field', 'field', 'field', 'field', ...]

... and then you insert the newlines into the list, based on the
field count; is that correct? If so, I can show you how to approach
this differently. But I want to make sure that this is what you are
starting from before writing up a solution and explanation. Also, you
said that there are a fixed number of fields per record; is this
field count variable from case to case, or will it always be the same
fixed number?

-- Ed Leafe
-- http://leafe.com
-- http://dabodev.com