Nate Lowrie wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2007 10:41 AM, Paul McNett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Nate Lowrie wrote:
>> > On one last note, I think that you should make the dTextBox read only.
>> >  Coming from a correct code standpoint, if the users are entering the
>> > dTextBox value through the dFileDialog, you should never want them to
>> > type in the dTextBox directly.  Makes error checking easier because
>> > you only have to check for NULL and if the file is still there.  I am
>> > nit-picking, but it makes for good code.
>>
>> As a user I appreciate being able to enter text freely as well as being
>> able to press a button to pick an item. For getting files and
>> directories, it is *much faster* for me to type '~/my_file.txt' than it
>> is to bring up a dialog and use the mouse to navigate to it.
>
> I would be willing to argue that it depends on the target audience of
> the program.  Suppose you are writing a business app for Joe's Apple
> Orchard.  All of the people who use the program aren't too computer
> savvy.  In that case, I think making the dTextBox read only is
> warranted.  In fact, I would be willing to bet with the browse button
> there that Joe and his employees wouldn't think twice about using it
> versus typing in what they consider a cryptic file path or doing
> things like typing "myFile.txt" and forgetting the path.
>
> On the other hand, you have a point about freely entering text.  If it
> is an app geared toward programmers, admins, or more technical people,
> then yes, the user should be able to enter text freely.  I guess the
> case in point is that you need identify what you target audience wants
> and go from there.

The good folks at Joe's Apple Orchard are going to become more savvy
every day. Eventually, thanks in no small part to the program they paid
you to write, they will expand and become Joe's Apple Intergalactic, and
will have their own developing IT department.

Dumbing down features has its place (reduced chance of user
confusion/frustration) but it does also limit what the power user can do
(reduced productivity).

--
pkm ~ http://paulmcnett.com