On Monday 11 May 2009 07:48:56 am Sibylle Koczian wrote:
> johnf schrieb:
> > On Monday 11 May 2009 03:59:20 am Sibylle Koczian wrote:
> >> I tried this, and now the dDropdownList is filled correctly, I get no
> >> error messages - but the parent-child relation doesn't seem to work: the
> >> grid for the child records always shows the records belonging to the
> >> first parent record.
> >
> > I didn't see anything in the code that looked wrong so I would start
> > doing some debugging.
> >
> > I have a guess that the problem is the dropdown is changing but the
> > record of the 'rubrik' is not moving.  So you can prove it.
>
> It's even worse: the record of the "rubrik" bizobj not only doesn't
> move, it gets the key of the record just shown in the dropdown. And that
> key is the primary key of the table. Wonderful. Luckily I haven't done
> anything about saving yet.
>
> It's clear I made quite wrong assumptions about dDropdownList (and about
> the other list controls?). I thought moving through the choices list
> would move through the records of the dataset and show the content of
> the current DataField, but instead it seems to put the current value
> _into_ the DataField of the current record, which doesn't move. Right?
>
> > First open a dShell (contrl-d).
>
> Many thanks for that advice, I hadn't discovered the dShell yet!

> Thank you,
> Sibylle

In my code I do something similar that is I use a dropdown to provide the
filter/where clause info.  But I bind the 'Hit' event to a method.  In the
method I set the whereclause of the table I need filtered - then requery the
table.  It works well.

topiclist.bindEvent(dabo.dEvents.Hit, self.get_essess1)

def get_essses1(self,evt):
        self.essession.setWhereClause("topic = %s" % self.Topic1ID.Value)
        self.essession.requery()

With my solution do NOT provide a DataSource and DataField for the dropdown.
Get use the value from the selection and set the starting value of the
dropdown.  Also you will need a way save the value into the table.

There are plenty of ways to go - but you get the general idea.

--
John Fabiani