On Thursday 21 May 2009 06:57:49 am johnf wrote:

> I have been playing/testing Dabo on Ubuntu 9.04 and discovered several
> interesting things.
>
> 1. Even after installing wxPython (see below) I can not get Dabo and parts
> of wxPython to work correctly using python 2.6.  I had trouble with grids,
> and a special dialog I subclassed from dOkCancelDialog.
>
> 2. Using the install software program (can't recall the name) I was able to
> install python 2.5.  Using the command line to run wxPython with python
> 2.5.
>
> 3. wxPython 2.8.9.2 is what is installed.  And it installs it self in a
> python 2.5 type directory.  But python 2.6 appeared to have access too.
> I'm not sure how that works.  But it did.  It was strange because I
> installed wxPython before installing python 2.5.  And without changing
> anything wxPython worked with the new python 2.5.  That surprized me.
>
> 4. Attempting to use a "dabo.pth " file required that I place the file in a
> different directory from my past experiences.  Normally, I just use the
> site-packages of the python I'm using.  But that did not work.  There is
> a "disutils"  (or some spelling that started with a 'd' anyway) that I
> placed the 'pth' file and all worked.
>
> Like I said I was just playing with Ubuntu on my laptop while I was
> watching TV.  But I did get Ubuntu 9.04 and Dabo working using pyhton 2.5.
>
> It should be obvious that I have lots to learn about Ubuntu.  This distro a
> different animal.

I found a little item on the wxPython list

Under Jaunty things are different, because every wxpython package adds a
wx-2.[68]-gtk2-unicode.pth to /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages, so - if
I understand it correctly - on a "import wx" Python chooses
alphabetically, thus the 2.6 version..

Hope this helps.

--
John Fabiani