I did a basic Postgres install on Ubuntu VM this evening and noticed
that SSL was already setup on the database server.  I popped over to
PgAdmin on OSX and select SSL on the connection and it was automagic
as far as I could tell.

I've not sniffed any traffic at this point to verify that SSL was
working.

- David

On Oct 20, 2009, at 9:49 PM, Adrian Klaver wrote:

> On Tuesday 20 October 2009 7:28:15 pm John wrote:
>> On Tuesday 20 October 2009 07:00:30 pm David Henry wrote:
>>> Just a quick note.  I found the following:
>>>
>>> "The 2.0Beta binaries DO have SSL support and would recommend them
>>> even tho
>>> it has 'Beta' in the name.
>>>

>>> To use SSL, add the following parameter to the connect string:
>>>   sslmode=
>>>     disable  - No SSL
>>>     allow    - First try non SSL, then try SSL
>>>     prefer   - First try SSL, then non-SSL connection
>>>     require  - Only try SSL connection
>>> ie:
>>>
>>> # Connect up to the test database using only SSL support
>>> #
>>> c = psycopg2.connect("host=test user=test dbname=test
>>> sslmode=require")
>>> "
>>> So it looks fairly straight forward.
>>>
>>> -David

>> David, do you have a ssl Postgres database setup?
>>
>> I found that same link earlier.  Also note that you might have to
>> change
>> the "setup.py" for psycopg2 by setting SSLMode = 1.   But does
>> psycopg2
>> handle all the communications?  I'm unable to determine that
>> information.
>> IOW what else is needed - maybe nothing.
>>
>> Here are my questions:
>>
>> 1. Does postgres act as the SSL server - I doubt that.
>
> Yes. See here;
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/ssl-tcp.html
>
>> 2. Does psycopg2 handle all the communications from the SSL server?
>
> See link above. Also:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/libpq-ssl.html
>

> Basically Postgres takes care of it. The only role Psycopg plays is
> to set the
> ssl mode of the connection.
>>

>> Johnf
>

> --