Hi Uwe,

On 02/02/2011 18:37, Uwe Grauer wrote:
> On 02/02/2011 11:01 AM, Werner F. Bruhin wrote:
>> Hi Uwe,
>>
>> On 26/01/2011 16:13, Uwe Grauer wrote:
>>> I commited your changes with rev 6347.
>> A belated thanks.
>>
>> Just noticed this in firebird.db:
>>
>>               elif ftype == "varying":
>>                   if r["rdb$field_length"]>  64:
>>                       ft = "M"
>>                   else:
>>                       ft = "C"
>>
>> In a utf-8 encoded database this means that varchar larger then 16
>> characters will be defined as a "M" field.
>>
>> What about using "rdb$character_length" instead - see exchange with
>> Helen on FbSupport?
>>
>> Werner
> Sorry Werner,
>
> i have no clue why varchar fields are either "C" or "M". I never had any
> problems with this. Must be really old code.

As varchar can go pretty large at some point "M" makes sense.  In my
case when I wanted a "memo" type column I used a text blob, but I can
see that varchar is another alternative for that up to its limit.

I think it should be changed to use "rdb$character_length" but I really
have no idea what the right value is to go from "C" to "M".  I guess any
number is not going to fit every ones need, so might as well leave it at 64.

Could you change that when you have a moment?

Thanks
Werner