On 2/4/11 9:08 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Feb 2011 15:45:21 -0500, Ed Leafe
> <e...@leafe.com>  declaimed the following in
> gmane.comp.python.dabo.user:
>

>>      I thought that there was a problem with the choice of '?' as the
>> "standard" placeholder to be replaced, since a query might contain question
>> marks.
>>
>       I'm having trouble visualizing a DBMS in which a ? is part of a
> schema identifier and not data that could be inserted via, well, a
> parameter filling in a ?
>
>       Of course -- the naming system used by M$ JET (Access) probably has
> a use for ? in identifiers.

What would be a good general-use way to be able to "safely" mark parameters in
an SQL
string, given that any potential character or group of characters to use could
potentially be part of a literal SQL string?

I guess we'd have to check for the context. For instance:

1) sql = "select * from c where pkid=?"
2) sql = "select * from c where '?' in name and cat_id=?"

Case 1 is straightforward; Case 2 would only interpret the second ? as a
parameter
placeholder because of being inside quotes.

Sounds hairy to code for all the edge cases, but there would be tremendous
value in
having a dabo-specified parameter placeholder that gets converted by dabo to
the
backend convention at the correct time.

Paul