On Saturday, February 05, 2011 10:49:57 am Ed Leafe wrote:
> On Feb 5, 2011, at 1:39 PM, Sibylle Koczian wrote:
> > True, but if you don't always want to get complete tables into your
> > bizobj you'd normally need parameterized SQL. The select pages of
> > AppWizard applications should contain lots of it (can't find the place
> > ATM). And this might be distributed all over the application, not
> > concentrated in bizobj methods.
>
>       Paul's point is that if you are using the SqlBuilder methods (i.e., not
> using UserSQL), Dabo will know the backend in use and create the
> parameters appropriately. His use case is running user-defined SQL
> statements against both SQLite (which uses ?) and MySQL (which uses %s).
>

> -- Ed Leafe

Yes we have two of each Postgres and MySQL use %s and SQLite  uses '?' and
FireBird uses both the '?' and ':name' (at least it did when I worked with
it).  Therefore, I think I'm aware of the issue.

First let me say I am biased.  I love using Postgres and in general I do not
see SQLite as a reliable database engine (that's only my opinion and comes
from my personal experiences - yes I know millions are using it).  So in
general I try to avoid using SQLite.

My only answer is don't pass para directly - pass the SQL statement.  This
does several nice things IMO.  SQLite does not allow parameters for anything
but values.  Meaning changing tables names, etc is impossible unless:
sql = "select * from %s"
sql = sql % self.tablename
bizobj.UserSQL = sql

Now I have a complete sql statement that will work with any of the databases
supported by Dabo.

So I do not see the need for a special universal paramPlaceholder value.  Dabo
does a great job as is and if the developer has needs outside of the standard
he/she can use the above to pass the values.

As always I'm open to anyone's opinion that I'm full of it!

Johnf

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---