On Tuesday, May 10, 2011 10:24:13 am Stef Kariotidis wrote:
> Thank you all for your answers and the code, it sure is a good start to
> look.
> I also vote for a ready made UI component providing intelligence
> features if is possible.
>
> About a Dabo book - cookbook,
> Packt Publishing  (http://www.packtpub.com <http://www.packtpub.com/>),
> is a publishing company that has published many books around open source
> technologies, they also give some of their income from those books back
> to the open source projects
> (which means that Dabo could get some money back).
> At their books the introduce a feature for their customers to suggest
> books, more specifically/:
>   "If there is a book that you need and would like to see us publish,
> please send
> us a note in the SUGGEST A TITLE form on www. packtpub. com or e-mail
> suggest@packtpub. com. "/,  taken from a published book.
>
> Is there a chance anytime in future to see a published book about Dabo?
> Please note that I am not
> affiliated with the Packt Publishing, just happens to be one of their
> customers who bought some books
> and after seeing the /"suggest a book feature/" my first thought that
> came in mind was Dabo since it is the only
> Python framework for Rich Desktop Applications. IMHO it would be a great
> opportunity to promote Dabo and fund
> some of the project's needs.
>
> Kind regards,
> Stef K.

It sounds great.  But, there are only two guys really qualified to write the
book and both are very busy.  Of course there is an incentive - that of course
is being a published author.  In some circles that can be the difference
between getting the job (new client?) and not.  And then there is the issue of
the size of the audience - the Dabo community is not very large compared to
other open source projects.  I would think packtpub would have to weight the
investment vs the size of potential number of buyers.

But I do know that a book on designing a framework - would be well received in
higher educational courses.  Living very close to a college I have had many
discussions with instructors and such a book using a modern language would do
well.

Also how would the money be spent?

That said, I do recall that O'Reilly Books had small 10-25 page papers that
they published (e-books?).  I bet a small 25 page article would help encourage
others to review Dabo or "the trade offs of a framework".

Side Note:
I have noted that Hank Fay (VFP'er) has been blogging about Dabo.

Johnf