I like to comment on this, too. I started to use dabo some time ago, with the
sole reason that I needed a database for scientific literature and none of the
available free tools could do what I needed. I am not an experienced
programmer, but I have always been able to script my way around with visual
basic or perl, and I started to use python because it seems to be more natural
than other languages.

I ended up to use dabo, because the tutorial example with the recipe database
is quite similar to what I needed, so I figured if I just followed the tutorial
and make the necessary adjustments, I would end up with what I need. However,
things were not as easy as I anticipated. I started to do try my own database
using the application wizard, and it always crashed with the m:m checkboxes. I
then followed the instructions in the manual step-by-step to just reproduce the
recipe database, but it still crashed. I then watched some of the screencasts
and tried my luck with the form designer, but also failed. I then figured out
that there may be some problem with the python version I am using (Python 2.7
on 64bit Win7), because once I installed the dabo runtime, the code worked as
it should.

I still was not able to populate a drop down window from a database table. ( I
tried to follow the discussion that was linked in the wiki, but I did not
manage to get it done). In the end I hard-coded my options in the edit page, so
I ended up with something that works for me, and I am very happy and grateful
for dabo.

But as someone who is not an experienced programmer (more or less a beginner)
the available documentation is difficult to follow, in several regards: Once I
got stuck with the application wizard, I found a discussion in the list archive
about whether ot not the application wizard is obsolete or not. (That was not
encouraging).
I tried to follow the form designer in the screencast, but at an quite early
state the screencast shows the definition of the bizobjects in the code window,
but the current version of the tool places these definition somewhere else,
where I did not find them. This is explained somewhere on the website, bit only
if know where to look you can find it. Before that it can be quite
discouraging. The seemingly simple task of how to populate a drop-down list
from the database is explained by a reference to a post that is only part of a
discussion on the topic, so as a beginner one has to be quite persistent to get
some results...

I then signed up for the mailing list, but most of the discussions are way
above me...

The pycon tutorial with the recipe database is a really good piece of
documentation and the reason I started to use dabo. What I would like most
would be if the tutorial examples would be expanded to illustrate additional
techniques, since I usually can work my way up from code examples, but I
consistently fail to apply things like object definitions on my own.

Actually, I am so grateful that with dabo I could get what I needed, that I
would be willing to help with the tutorials myself, but as the author of the
last post, I have to admit that there is no knowledge that I could turn into a
tutorial yet. And please excuse the lenghty explanation...

best regards

Soeren

-------- Original-Nachricht --------