On Thursday, March 22, 2012 01:05:12 PM Ed Leafe wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2012, at 12:57 PM, Paul McNett wrote:
> > Simply append a horizontal spacer and set its proportion to 1 to tell it
> > to take all remaining available space. I guess I'd missed that spacers
> > could have proportion set.
>       What you're doing is pretty much the analogue of this:
>
>       http://wiki.dabodev.com/HowToVisuallyFloatAControl
>

> -- Ed Leafe

The trouble I find the most with sizers is keeping the alignment with many
controls on my forms.  I have always like the VFP way - where everything lines
up.  Grid sizers work but I often find little issues.  I set up the number of
columns to deal with all the labels and textboxes etc..  Then I need something
that does not fit properly in the columns - like I'll need City, State, Zip on
one line but I want the spacing not to match the grid settings.  So I add
HSizers that will contact the city textbox, a label "State", state textbox, a
label "Zip" and then the textcontrol.  I add spacers and use Column span to
get it into the grid.  But things are sometimes just a little off.  Maybe only
a pixel or during a resize the zip textbox grows to large.  I wish I had a
better setup to control the resizing but I have not found one.

The other issue I have is when I use the grid sizer and then switch to a
different sizer (Normally a Hsizer) the placement of the controls does not
match the grid sizer.  IOW's the grid sizer places the label maybe one or two
pixels left or right of the where the HSizer does.

So if someone has a better way to get that alignment - let me know!

Johnf