On 2/6/14 7:56 PM, Patrick Headley wrote:
> I posted a message last night because the instructions on the dabo site don't
> work. Tonight I tried again by using the Linux specific instructions, which I
> found to be way outdated. I then found dabo on the github and checked it out
> using svn. Upon running setup.py, I still get the same errors as before. I
> cannot send you the exact error messages today but the first one is that the
> setuptools file is missing. After downloading the current version and then
> changing the name to the version that the setup application wants the
> installation seems to work. But then, when I try to run the demo, I get the
> error regarding no translation file.
>
> Again, I would really like to try dabo, as I believe it could be the solution
> I'm looking for. Please fix it.

Hi,

I'm sorry you are having trouble getting started. We definitely need to improve
our
setup scripts to work seamlessly with pip. I hit that translation error you
posted
simply by doing 'pip install dabo'.

However, I was able to do the following on Ubuntu 12.04:

# make a clean virtualenv:
mkvirtualenv dabo_test_install
cdsitepackages

# use the 'main' python installation of wx in the virtualenv:
echo "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wx-2.8-gtk-unicode" > wx.pth

# download and install dabo:
cd /tmp
wget https://github.com/dabodev/dabo/archive/v0.9.14.tar.gz
tar -xzvf v0.9.14.tar.gz
cd dabo-0.9.14
python setup.py install

# test:
(dabo_test_install)pmcnett@lin:/tmp$ python
Python 2.7.3 (default, Aug  1 2012, 05:14:39)
[GCC 4.6.3] on linux2
>>> import dabo
>>> app = dabo.dApp()
>>> app.start()

# and here I see the GUI with no errors, and press Alt+F4 to close and get the
python
prompt back.

Could you try these steps (not sure how different they are from what you did)
and let
me know how it goes? I highly recommend using virtualenv if you aren't already,
but
it isn't required.

Paul