On 18/01/2008, at 10:09 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> William Uther writes:
>
>> In OT theory, a set of patches that are all transformed to apply
>> should
>> result in _identical_ output, regardless of order.  If the output
>> really
>> is identical, then shouldn't the conflicts be marked up in the
>> same way?
>
> Why would you expect that?  Merger markup expresses a superposition
> (hello, physicists!) of two texts; there's always a choice of order
> when serializing.

Well, in OT theory a large effort is made to make sure that the same
serialization is made in all cases.  It is a bug if different orders
appear.

>> My understanding from this that the merger patches are NOT identical.
>
> The patches are the same, the notation is changed.

Ahh.  I think that might have cleared up my confusion.  Would it be
correct to say that DARCS is versioning partially ordered text, and it
is just choosing which total order to display to the user differently?

> Doing this the way you expect *and* in a way that is easy for users to
> understand is hard, I suspect.

Good point.

Cheers,

Will      :-}