Am 09.04.2017 um 17:29 schrieb Matthias Andree:
What's your number of background threads (fourth entry in core options)?

It's currently set to 2, and if removed from the configuration file with
darktable stopped,
will revert to 2 when darktable gets restarted and closed next time.

Note I see this quite often, but I don't see where that time comes from:

[dev] took 4,787 secs (5,388 CPU) to load the image.
[dev] took 4,787 secs (5,388 CPU) to load the image.

You might try higher values like six or eight. Main advantage of many background threads is hiding I/O latency and that might be a main issue here.

Looking at iotop it appears that the prime concern however is that it
maxes out the external USB3 HDD reading from NTFS...
reducing to 1 thread stalled the UI at first but came back with some 30
thumbnails all at once.

Might easily be that the main issue on your system is stalling I/O (for whatever reason). Please make some experiments from a very fast storage medium (SSD, ram disk) to find out if this is the main cause.

I sometimes see modules like highlite reconstruction, CA correction, or
demosaic ("Entrastern") still being dispatched to the CPU, which is very
slow, when it's normally dispatched to the GPU. Statistics below. It
seems the only module that is supposed to be on the CPU is Gamma, and
it's so blazingly fast that we don't need to care. Sorry for the German,
but you get the idea. This is only from launching darktable in
lighttable view:

There are some modules where no OpenCL code is available (Amaze demosaic, raw denoise, color input/output profile with LittleCMS2) but I cannot say if this is the main cause here. At least several of the modules from the output below have OpenCL support. Please try further to isolate if slow CPU processing correlates with specific images and their history stacks.

$ grep 'on CPU' /tmp/dt-perf-opencl.log  | sort -k7 | uniq -f6 -c | sort -nr
    124 [dev_pixelpipe] took 0,000 secs (0,000 CPU) processed `Gamma' on
CPU, blended on CPU [thumbnail]
      6 [dev_pixelpipe] took 0,026 secs (0,076 CPU) processed
`Entrastern' on CPU, blended on CPU [thumbnail]
      5 [dev_pixelpipe] took 0,276 secs (0,832 CPU) processed
`Chromatische Aberration' on CPU, blended on CPU [thumbnail]
      5 [dev_pixelpipe] took 0,019 secs (0,060 CPU) processed
`Spitzlicht-Rekonstruktion' on CPU, blended on CPU [thumbnail]
      2 [dev_pixelpipe] took 0,118 secs (0,348 CPU) processed
`Raw-Schwarz-/Weißpunkt' on CPU, blended on CPU [thumbnail]
      2 [dev_pixelpipe] took 0,052 secs (0,140 CPU) processed
`Weißabgleich' on CPU, blended on CPU [thumbnail]
      2 [dev_pixelpipe] took 0,023 secs (0,036 CPU) processed
`Tonemapping' on CPU, blended on CPU [thumbnail]
      2 [dev_pixelpipe] took 0,008 secs (0,016 CPU) processed
`Objektivkorrektur' on CPU, blended on CPU [thumbnail]
      2 [dev_pixelpipe] took 0,001 secs (0,004 CPU) processed
`Ausgabefarbprofil' on CPU, blended on CPU [thumbnail]
      2 [dev_pixelpipe] took 0,001 secs (0,000 CPU) processed
`Eingabefarbprofil' on CPU, blended on CPU [thumbnail]
      2 [dev_pixelpipe] took 0,000 secs (0,000 CPU) processed `Schärfen'
on CPU, blended on CPU [thumbnail]
      2 [dev_pixelpipe] took 0,000 secs (0,000 CPU) processed
`Basiskurve' on CPU, blended on CPU [thumbnail]
      1 [dev_pixelpipe] took 3,126 secs (9,444 CPU) processed
`Raw-Entrauschen' on CPU, blended on CPU [thumbnail]
      1 [dev_pixelpipe] took 0,000 secs (0,000 CPU) processed `Drehung'
on CPU, blended on CPU [thumbnail]