Hi,

the comment holds some validity in this particular case since darktable
can't losslessly crop a JPEG file, but other tools can. If the original
poster ended up just cropping (and not rotating) most files, something
like cropgui[1] would actually yield better image quality.

(Obviously this is an extreme edge case and I fully support the solution
with the modifier key proposed in the other thread. I just added this
for future reference.)

cheers,
Simon

[1] https://github.com/jepler/cropgui