On Tue, May 28, 2019, at 03:25, Aurélien Pierre wrote:

> I personally think darktable should default to a neutral look (dark and
> ugly), but not all the dev team agrees. I guess having a very neutral
> picture (only demosaiced) as a default starting point in the darkroom
> would freak out most users. (Just see how many don't understand why
> dt's preview doesn't look the same as the camera's one…). So, as of
> now, the neutral default is an option in parameters (in darktable
> 2.7/git master).

It does seem more reasonable to ask the knowledgable users to change a few
settings (which they understand the implications of), rather than place this
burden on newbies or others for whom a "friendly" user experience is more
important. :)

> Anyway, there will be discussions in a few days at the Libre Graphics
> Meeting about the pixelpipe, so we will see what can be done to fix
> that. Dealing with compatibility and legacy while improving is never
> simple.

Since the basecurve module must be retained, I'm wondering if, now that its
default position has been moved to after colorin, is there anything preventing
it from being moved even further along the pipe, to the most harmless possible
location (whatever that might be)? Part of deprecating its use as a curve
module might include diminishing that portion of its UI, while emphasizing more
the "fusion" function, for those who like that flavor of tonemapping? Just a
thought.

--
jys