Hum, have you read what we have said ? It's also related to dpi rendering, so it is the way that works in GTK (related to font OS size and dpi rendering)... What I just add is how on start em, px, etc. work with CSS. And the new darktable UI is entirely adjustable by CSS (colors, fonts, sizes, etc...).

To help on issue you precise, it would be better having more details on your specific configuration, how it really renders on your OS, and for example precise what you ask me on start : what size 1em is equal in darktable on your OS ? And also precise what parafin just ask.