Hi,

Camera firmwares that convert raw to jpeg internally rely on proprietary
and undisclosed algorithms. Emulating these is not merely a game of
tuning input parameters, we need to reverse-engineer what algorithms
they use, in what color space, and in which order they are applied, and
repeat × pictures profiles × camera models × camera brands.

Not to mention, manufacturers use their internal sensor knowledge to
fine-tune algos, and we are in no position to compete by simple lack of
access to this knowledge.

darktable is already shipped with basic "basecurves" which emulate the
overall tone/color intent of each brand using only its standard image
profile, but they are limited, often inaccurate and no quality-control
is performed on them.

If people want to quickly get jpegs from their raws, any camera is
provided with some proprietary piece of software that has much more
educated guesses built-in than darktable, and knows about the camera
firmware, such that you could get your camera jpeg back from your
computer in no time.

So I would say this : darktable is not a firmware emulator. We don't
have the ressources to be, we already have an half-baked emulating
method for what it's worth, and then what use would it be to mimic
something that your camera already does better ? Designing a consistent
raw workflow is enough work as it is, trying to take into account all
the firmware discrepancies is simply madness in our context.

Cheers,

Aurélien.