1. that still doesn't give you the jpeg cooking recipe, which is more
complicated than building an ad-hoc LUT or a tonecurve if local filters
are applied (and there are),

2. what is it with people editing jpegs ? That's nonsensical ! Not the
same workflow, not the same maths, not the same filters, not the same
pipeline, not the same software. A raw is an output-agnostic linearly
encoded master picture that you can still salvage from the beginning, a
jpeg is already non-linearly cooked for display assuming dim viewing
conditions (as per sRGB standard) and firmware blackboxes.

People need to stop dealing with image processing as if everyone was
right and correctness didn't matter. It's not a silly magic game of
pixels values, there are assumptions to assert underneath the hood.
Sometimes I wish image processing could kill people, as civil
engineering or medicine do, so people would start taking it seriously
and check the theory behind before doing shit carelessly. That kind of
silly workflow will blow up in your face 50 % of times because there is
zero reliability in handling pre-baked jpegs with all the firmwares
discrepancies in a software designed to unroll image operations on raw
files. Then I will let you deal with users who don't understand why the
workflow is so unpredictable.

Indulging bad habits of users is not a solution, especially since we
don't sell anything/whore ourselves out. Let's be rigorous about pixels
operations and do things properly. Want to edit jpegs ? Use bloody
Photoshop and the likes. They are good at doing shit, don't care about
color consistency, don't care about light emissions, don't even do
associated alpha occlusion properly. Yet people love them because
marketing expenses make up for dev mediocrity and overall stupidity.