Thanks all. Sorry I didn't check the GitHub prior to mailing. Will do in future.

For reference:

I can't use github but the below can be added as a comment to
https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/issues/4085.

This issue talks about the behavior being intentional for cases of long loading
times and error conditions. I'm not sure we should be assessing this based on
these outlier conditions.

The page talked about a Culling Mode? I've been using this Darktable for a
couple weeks and not found it. I'll search the documentation.

Also it fails to account of the eye-strain associated with brightness changes
and loss of focus. I prefer to scroll through photos I've taken. I enjoy seeing
the subtle differences between the photo as I go and ultimately will find my
favorite shots by doing this. Even after culling, it's an on-going process.

The only thing needed to imply something is loading is to add a spinner of some
kind. It's probably best as a spinner mouse cursor. Maybe "Loading <FILE_NAME>"
could go in the bottom line, where the shutter speed, ISO, etc, is shown.

The same when zooming in on an image. Currently when zooming, "working..."
flashes up on the screen for a millisecond. A spinner would make the interface
feel even faster.

END content for github/4085
---------------------------

Aside:

I'm getting into Synfig (an open-source animation program) also. I'd be able to
produce open-source spinners for darktable that uses the iconic darktable
shutter, if people think this would be good.

I could probably produce three...
- A simple spinning shutter (outline style)
- Opening/closing shutter blades (outline), and
- Each shutter blade in turn becoming solid (from outline).

To keep the icon legible at a very small sizes I'd likely only use a shutter
with five blades (rather than six).

If devs like this I'll donate the time. Tell me the format that you can use.
Image map? SVG animation? Gif won't work for the third spinner which would use
semi-transparency. All spinners would be designed to go inside a 50%
transparent, almost-black circle.

Apologies in advance for the long form.