Why do you have to do this manually? It would be much better UX if Darktable could have a cache of the last N (configurable number) rendered images, automatically.

/Mikael

On 2020-10-10 23:50, Matt Maguire wrote:
Are you aware of the darktable-generate-cache command?
https://darktable.gitlab.io/doc/en/overview_chapter.html#darktable_generate_cache_commandline_parameters

On my slow laptop with no discrete GPU, using arrows to move between single photos on lighttable results in a brief flash if the thumbnail is not cached, but one it has been cached the transition between photos is very smooth.