Do you know:

https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/en/special-topics/program-invocation/darktable-generate-cache/

Am 03.01.22 um 18:30 schrieb Jørn Villesen Christensen:
Hi there,

First off: Thank you for a great application. I enjoy using darktable very much, and I feel that (with the latest 3.8) it got both better and faster on my machine. Thank you! :-)

I have a feature request, though. If it is already implemented, then maybe I need a pointer to a place in the documentation :-D But, the request is: The ability (within lighttable mode) to enable preload / pre-caching of full previews.

To put some more words on my work situation: When I am culling images in lighttable mode, I go to full preview mode (shortcut 'w' or 'f') and flick through the images. Whenever darktable encounters a "new" image, it takes a second to render a full screen preview (or more if I have already done some edits). It then caches it so the next time (within same session) I show that image, it is shown immediately. This delay, however, is a bit annoying when I flick through the images for comparison. I therefor often find myself scrolling fast 10 to 20 images ahead, triggering a preview-generation, for then to go back to "start" and actually viewing the images.

I would love it, if i did not have to do the little scroll back and forth dance, but that darktable would just start generating previews whenever I went into full preview mode.

I know there are some open questions (How many previews to generate? What happens if the cached images hits the cache limit? What then when you zoom in on a photo?) which I would be happy to discuss, but first step would be to check in whether a) I am the only one with this request? b) Is this already implemented (and I just haven't found the feature)?

BR
Jørn