I think you can have copies, can't you? If I'm not wrong, on light table
ctrl+d with a selected image.

What would help is if there is an easily accessible catalog of all created
tags for grouping/searching or whatever it'll be called, and being able to
make simple logical selectors, like this tag and not that tag or so.
I don't have that many photos yet though.