On 30/12/16 12:55, Stéphane Gourichon wrote:

> This can happen not only because of accessing photo collection from
> different computers.
>
> Another reason: a photo collection on an external drive. Even on the
> same computer, the mount point is not always the same. Reasons are
> varied: USB device name changing depending on what was plugged since
> boot, duplicate disks labels, USB device stuck then unplugged/replugged.

I agree with Stepháne, here.

I normally use DT on my photo collection, which is shared between my three computers (replicated, really). I have the "XMP first" option set up, and given that I went quite a lot of hoops to have the same paths, it sort-of-work.

I see the option#3 below really interesting. Having the libraries per-collection, in the root directory, sounds great.

Thanks and all of you, have a nice 2017 start --- double the nice for the developers, they deserve it!

Romano

[...]

Way 3: best of both worlds by fixing broken assumptions

Compatible with moving between computers and mount points, allow big
collections (tags, etc) that need quick query capabilities.

That reference problem is not specific to darktable. Music library
managers, git, git-annex, virtualbox, vmware, docker and the like
solved it by storing all information related to a
collection/VM/container *at the root* of the collection, with a unique
ID, independent on host system, mount point and other factors.

In darktable context that would mean store per-photo information not
in user home dir but in a per-collection database at the root of the
collection, storing only relative paths in the database.

That requires the user once to point at a folder and tell darktable
"there is a collection that has this folder as root".

You can then open your collections on any machine with any mount
point, no more duplication, no skulls, no lost work.

Yet the potentially huge collection has its per-photo library. You
still can query your photos for tags, etc, very quickly.

What do you think?

--
Romano Giannetti
http://www.rgtti.com/