I did something similar recently with a photo of a bright orange fish in
muddy water. To desaturate the water while leaving the fish as-is, I used
the "color correction" module with a parametric mask that excluded the
fish's hue (using the "input" slider on the "h" tab in the parametric mask
settings).

--
August Schwerdfeger
aug...@schwerdfeger.name