Le 01/03/2017 à 06:57, darkta...@911networks.com a écrit :
DT 2.2.3 on arch.

I took photos of a car at night and did some light painting with an
LED in 25 seconds blocks.

I have 9 images with each image a different area of the car lit by
the LED. How can I merge them and selecting the lit section?

They are all lined up (tripod).

Is there some software that will allow me to masks them.

Gimp is a problem, it's only 8 bit and I'd like to print the image
to at least 11 by 14 and maybe 16 by 20. (the last time I tried, there
was some banding in the skys)

Hello,

     Off-topic? Perhaps not so much.

First, it might not be that off-topic. Are your images raw?

You can consider the merge step being done before or after darktable processing.

It might make sense to pre-process the images with darktable (noise reduction etc etc) export from darktable and merge the resulting images.

Or the contrary : merge all (presumably raw) photos with brightest pixel into a picture then process. But much software doesn't actually deal with raw, only handle them to ufraw or similar and work on the result, so you lose a lot of choice.

So, if you actually want to personalize the image, pre-process all pictures very lightly with darktable, then merge, then process the merged picture as you wish in darktable again.

You might want to ask darktable to export in a 16-bit format with linear colorspace, for best preservation of subtle variations and avoid banding.

     Simple precedent example

I had a similar need combining photos of the sky showing the ISS passing by, appearing as a series of dashes.

ImageMagick can do it. In my case it was 8-bit JPEG, but it seems that ImageMagick has been able to perform 16-bit processing since at least 2008, see also http://stackoverflow.com/questions/24683912/imagemagick-depth-convert .

Merging with brightest pixel is done with "-compose lighten".

Here's the script I used: it captures all JPG files and writes a png.

TMPF=temp.miff ; convert -verbose $( ls -1b *JPG | head -n 1 ) $TMPF ; for a in *JPG ; do echo $a ; composite -verbose $TMPF $a -compose lighten $TMPF ; done ; convert -verbose $TMPF composite_max.png ; rm $TMPF

You can use that as a starting point, changing extensions, adding -depth 16, prefixing png with PNG48:, and using "identify" to check if files are 8bit or 16bit.

Reference and resulting picture : https://plus.google.com/+St%C3%A9phaneGourichon/posts/U68FCFQZhxo

Later I did something different with that result : https://plus.google.com/+St%C3%A9phaneGourichon/posts/WbNXPoV4sqA

Regards,

--