Le 31/03/2017 à 18:38, Stéphane Gourichon a écrit :

It looks like darktable UI implements some sort of focus-follows-pointer behavior, which is uncommon these days. I do not know of any other gtk app that does this (or any recent app, what was the last one I saw behaving like this ... a Motif app maybe, 20 years ago?).

Thank you all for your examples of UI behavior.

I was surprised no one mentioned side panels in lighttable, because it hit me many times.

Then I tested (it hit me actually always on the same spot). I observed the others are not affected and on experimenting I finally figured out what happens.

TL;DR: drop-downs steal focus and that's a pain on "export selected" module.

Where ? lighttable, right panel, module "export selected"

How to reproduce :

* open lighttable, move mouse to right panel, expand "export selected"
* click on export path textbox (between "target storage" and "on conflict").
* type some characters, they appear
* move mouse pointer away
* type some more characters

Expected : more characters appear
Observed : as soon as the pointer is moved away, textbox is no longer focused, no characters are inserted

On closer analysis it appears that this happens only when the move is moved up or down, not when it leaves the textbox sideways.

It appears that the real cause is not the mouse pointer exiting the textbox, but entering the drop-downs above and below. It's not that the mouse leave the textbox, it's that entering a dropdown steals focus.

This explains why it does not happen on other modules, like "collect images", "metadata editor", "tagging", "geotagging" : they have no drop-downs above or below.

Nevertheless, IHMO focus is not expected to be stolen away from textbox when move is moved away.

Question: Why do drop-downs steal focus? Do they have a good reason? Would a "click to focus" be enough?

--
Stéphane Gourichon