As I admit being able to see informations on pictures that are not selected is
of great value, being able to modify pictures that are not selected would in no
way have to be possible.

Two suggestions :

a- implement undo for every operation, should it concern one or all the
pictures in the library. Quite complex and memory consuming, I guess.

b- don't allow destructive operations on pictures that are not selected without
explicit user confirmation.

Yes, I know, suggestions are easy, doing is harder (I remember having been a
programmer very long time ago...).

Regards,

J.-Luc