Interesting, could you link me to that old discussion, by any chance?  Or do you remember the email title?  I've heard recently that Lightroom has some really useful dual-window functionality as well that works quite a bit differently from the detachable panels I was working on, so I've been meaning to look into how they do it as well.

-Robby