On Sun, 2018-04-08 at 07:07 +0200, ternaryd wrote:
> I've been looking for a way to be able to
> display an image I just shot. This is not what
> is usually understood by wireless 'tethering'; I
> want to continue to use my camera. It's just to
> be able to see the result on a larger screen.
>
> Nikon's networking isn't worth mentioning, so I
> finally hit on the recently apparently defunct
> eye-fi, which seems to have support by Nikon.
> This isn't ideal, because these cards are very
> small and slow, but for some situations, it
> might be OK. I didn't yet figure out to make
> the eyefiserver work on linux, but I guess I'll
> do so eventually.
>
> My question is, if there is some support by
> darktable for this. The eveyfiserver has an
> option allowing to run a program every time a
> new file has arrived. I could imagine another
> option besides darktable's 'tethering' entering
> such a mode to show that image in darktroom. Of
> course, a new commandline option would be
> needed, such that eyefiserver can inform a
> running darktable instance that the file is now
> available at a given pathname. It would break a
> bit darktable's philosophy, as I wouldn't
> expect that image to belong to any film roll or
> collection. I'd prefer to do that later when
> importing the images properly. It's mainly for
> instant visualization and the possibility to
> check the behaviour of some tools and that
> image.
>
> Or is there a better solution to this?
>
> Thanks,

IMO, Nikon networking (via WU-1a) has better potential due to open
protocol (PTP, Airnef provides GUI for transfers). Eye-Fi is not
defunct. As I understood they moved software support to Keenai after
Toshiba agreement. But I was not able to get Mobi Pro card working in
Linux, though card features, networks can be configured via tools from
https://github.com/rcarmo/EyeFi-Config. Even if it will eventually work
DT needs to implement something similar to Lightroom's Auto-import
feature.

Timur.