On Sun, 08 Apr 2018 08:38:42 +0300
Timur Irikovich Davletshin
<timur.davlets...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thank you for this very interesting reply.

> IMO, Nikon networking (via WU-1a) has better
> potential due to open protocol (PTP, Airnef
> provides GUI for transfers).

I will have a look at it; but if I recall
correctly, this is connected to the same port
where I usually have my GPS plugged in. And
sometimes on top of that, a wired remote
release. Nikon should really have these built
in.

> Eye-Fi is not defunct. As I understood they
> moved software support to Keenai after
> Toshiba agreement.

I wonder how you found out, because Toshiba was
mentioned on the last page published on
eyefi.com, and searching for eyefi and toshiba
didn't yield anything. Anyway, it seems Keenai
does give some sort of support (as long as it's
not linux), but it appears they'll sell their
own stuff, thus possibly nurturing rumors of
eyefi being a late company.

> But I was not able to get Mobi Pro card
> working in Linux, though card features,
> networks can be configured via tools from
> https://github.com/rcarmo/EyeFi-Config.

This is one interesting little piece of code.
Now I do understand, that you can communicate
with the card by writing and reading little
files in the eyefi directory.

This is how far I got:

You can drive the card using eyefi-config. Just
use -t essid -p password. I was able to have it
connect to a wlan router and to a notebook
configured as an access point. Later I
discovered the utility of eyefi-config -l,
though you've got to get lucky; the card bombs
the log file with useless info, but from time
to time, you do get the info about the access
attempts. My conclusion so far is: giving the
right SSID and the password, it will connect to
that access point and obtain an IP via DHCP. But
then, rather than looking for an eyefiserver,
it will always try to connect to
199.192.198.30:80, which used to be api.eye.fi
but which is down right now (and I'm not
interested in it at all).

So what I'm missing is the possibility to set
the network address of the host which will
accept it's transfer on port 59278. Any private
IP will do, as I can configure my hotspot
accordingly. The question is here, if this is a
limitation of the card or of eyefi-config.

> Even if it will eventually work DT needs to
> implement something similar to Lightroom's
> Auto-import feature.

Fortunately, this already exists, as you may
have seen earlier today: If the eyefi card
stores the file, the script in tools/
watch_folder.sh will tell darktable. Thanks
Tobias for that.

So, if you still know about some magic out
there how to tell the eyefi card the IP address
I think, it should work just fine with linux.
Actually, while connected to the computer, if I
copy an image file on the card, the log output
will report a pending upload.

Maybe I'll configure an access point to appear
as 199.192.198.30:80 (rather than 59728), just
to see it working; but I'd rather not use a
public IP address even in a confined
environment. And of course, the other question
is, if port 59728 isn't default, how would I
tell it that.